Enjoy refreshments and dance to music by the Big Band from the Valley quintet! Late ’50s-early ’60s attire is suggested
Whether you moved in in 1962 or 2018, come celebrate more than a half-century of elegant living. All Hopkinson House residents and their families are welcome. Presented by the HH Special Events Committee.
STRENGTH & CONDITIONING CLASS
If you are looking to diversify your workout, increase morale, AND have fun, then come join our workout program with a certified personal trainer, Chloe Tennekon. Not only will you be working with others who share similar goals, but you’ll get to experience the motivation and originality that comes with working with a trainer. Classes are open to Hopkinson House residents and take place in the Solarium. First class is complimentary. Questions? Contact Pat Ma, #HH316, firstname.lastname@example.org. June schedule
WASHINGTON SQUARE CITIZENS’ LEAGUE
Washington Square Citizens’ League is a nonpartisan, not-for-profit educational organization dedicated to motivating Hopkinson House residents to become engaged in the political and social processes of the day. Founded in 1996, Washington Square Citizens’ League offers an array of activities, including informative programs and regular meetings organized around interest groups. Annual dues for membership are $10 per person or $20 per couple. The membership year is July 1 – June 30. WSCL Membership Form. Please contact Susan Tomita for more information.
- Wednesday, November 14, 6:30 p.m. All Hopkinson House residents are welcome. Look for the sign-up sheet at the Front Desk in November.
Monthly evening programs in the Hopkinson House Solarium feature local movers and shakers, who have included Governor Ed Rendell, Philadelphia Inquirer columnists, government officials, and political candidates. Events offer the opportunity to meet-and-greet over refreshments before the program and Q&As. All Hopkinson House residents and their guests are welcome. Future programs TBA.
Topical discussion sessions take place every other Monday, starting at 2:30 p.m., in the Hopkinson House Upper Solarium. Knowledgeable Hopkinson House residents lead the discussions and provide printed reading material. Participation in individual sessions or a series is free for WSCL members.
- October 15, The Future of Affordable Housing in Philadelphia. Discussion Leader: Faith Abbey
- October 29, Review of Status of Climate Change. Discussion Leader: Vijay Kapur
- November 12, Review of Mid-Term Election Results. Discussion Leader: Lynn Miller
- December 3, Status and Impact of Social Media. Discussion Leader: Curt Johnson
Film-goers meet monthly to discuss a critically acclaimed film with social and/or political themes of interest to members. The Sunday sessions begin at 5:00 p.m. in the Hopkinson House upper Solarium. Group members receive a ballot on the Tuesday before the meeting, and the group’s selected film is announced by Friday morning.
- October 28
- December 2
Sessions are held every four to eight weeks on Sundays at 4:00 p.m. for about an hour in Apt. 2803.
- October 14 – The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
- November 11 – Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan
Join the Theater Group’s re-boot as we experiment with more outings and participation. Discussions take place on Tuesdays at 7:30 p.m. in the upper Solarium.
- November 13. Plays to discuss include “Sweat” (Philadelphia Theatre Company) and “Grey Gardens” (11th Hour Theatre Company).