To kick-start the 2023 Pool Season,
the pool is free-of-charge to all Hopkinson House residents from Saturday, May 27th through Sunday, June 4th!
2023 Season: Pool Rules and Regulations; Pool Application; Pool Waiver
WASHINGTON SQUARE CITIZENS’ LEAGUE AT HOPKINSON HOUSE
WashingtoAn Square Citizens’ League is a nonpartisan, not-for-profit educational organization dedicated to motivating Hopkinson House residents to become engaged in the political and social processes of the day. Founded in 1996, WSCL offers an array of activities, including informative programs and regular meetings organized around interest groups. The membership year is from July 1 – June 30. Annual dues for 2022-2023 are $10 per person, $20 per couple. Join now and benefit from membership through the June 2024 membership year! Questions? Contact . Membership Form
WSCL Monday Evening Speaker Series
Evening programs in the Hopkinson House Solarium feature local movers and shakers, who have included Governor Ed Rendell, Philadelphia Inquirer columnists, government officials, and political candidates. Events offer the opportunity to meet-and-greet over refreshments before the program and Q&As. All Hopkinson House residents and their guests are welcome. Speakers and dates TBA
WSCL Evening Discussion Group
Topical discussion sessions take place on selected Monday evenings, 7:00 p.m. in the Hopkinson House Solarium unless otherwise noted. Knowledgeable Hopkinson House residents lead the discussions. Handouts generally are emailed to WSCL members and available at the Resident Services Desk upon request about a week in advance.
- June 5, Education and Academic Freedom. Moderator: Barbara Gold
WSCL Book Groups
Meetings take place in the Solarium.
- Sunday, June 11, 4:30 p.m. Join the discussion of what we’re reading, enjoying, and considering for the fall-winter season! Solarium
- Wednesday, June 28, 1:30 p.m., THE VIOLIN CONSPIRACY by Brendan Slocumb (Crime Novels Book Group). Solarium
- Sunday, July 11, 4:30 p.m., GREY BEES by Andrey Kurkov. Solarium
- Wednesday, July 26, 1:30 p.m., THE WORD IS MURDER by Anthony Horowitz (Crime Novels Book Group). Solarium
- Sunday, August 13, 4:30 p.m., SOLITO: A MEMOIR by Javier Zamora. Solarium
- Wednesday, August 23, 1:30 p.m., DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS by Walter Mosley (Crime Novels Book Group). Solarium
- Sunday, September 10, 4:30 p.m., THE ISLAND OF MISSING TREES by Elif Shafak. Solarium
- Date TBA, ALL THAT SHE CARRIED:; THE JOURNEY OF ASHLEY’S SACK, A BLACK FAMILY’S KEEPSAKE by Tiya Miles
CURTAIN UP! WSCL Theatre Discussion Group
Theatre-lovers meet monthly on Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. discuss plays attended between meetings. Watch for Fall 2023 meeting notices.
WSCL Reel Discussion Group
Film-goers meet monthly to discuss a critically acclaimed film with social and/or political themes of interest to members. The Sunday sessions begin at 4:30 p.m. in the Hopkinson House upper Solarium. Group members receive a ballot on the Tuesday before the meeting, and the group’s selected film is announced by Thursday morning. Participants view the movie on their own before attending the guided discussion. Watch for meeting dates for Fall 2023.